Sunday 21 November 2010

blinded by the lights - batwoman elegy


For me the only women in the narrow segment of the comic world of which I have been exposed to so far who excite me have been the good/bad indecisive's Harely Quinn and Poison Ivy.
The discovery of an actual heroine intriguing enough to grasp and sustain my interest is something that has evaded me in the year Ive been actively perusing my comic education....
Until now!
Batwoman was an unknown entity to me, and my word, Elegy was a perfect way to be introduced!
Greg Rucka provides us with a thorough knowledge of her history, where she came from and what drives her.
He weaves this into an intricately layered story of which J.H Williams lll expertly illustrates in mind bogglingly beautiful form, ingeniously laced with hints and references through out as to the next revelation this remarkable read is intending to blow your mind with, just as you think you've recovered from the last.
I can honestly say I will definitely read Batwoman Elegy again, for I know I will gain even more out of it the second time round.
But I would want to own this item irrespective of this fact purely to be in possession of such a awe inspiring, imagination firing, sexually charged feat of artistic accomplishment. Truly breath taking!
You receive the same dark Gothicy atmosphere I love about reading Batman, with an unexpected injection of Charles Lutwidge Dodgson magic which I found heightened the unhinged nature of the character Alice, adding an exaggeration to her already sinister air.
Just like Batman, Batwoman is portrayed to reflect the terrific endurance the human spirit is capable of, using tragedy which could easily have lead to a downward spiral of self destruction to fuel instead a journey of ultimate triumph. Epitomizing the limitless possibilities we are all capable of when our mind, spirit and body work together.
Upon learning more about the character I used to describe as "A glorified Inspector Gadget" this is a trait I have long since admired in Batman, and is one I now admire in Batwoman.
Never before have I felt so strongly drawn to a female comic character, but I can safely say in Kate Kane I have not only secured that long anticipated excitement for a heroine I have also found a character I can learn from and aspire towards.
I was moved particularly by the Relationship between Kate and her Dad, almost moved to tears by the obvious love expressed through support, mutual respect, loyalty and acceptance.
I have taken influence from her courage in the face of adversity and motivation from her physical achievements.
I'm not insinuating I will now be donning a skin tight bullet proof all in one and becoming a nocternal crime fighter (well, not yet at least) but this is what reading a well written story and creating an exceptional personality does to the reader, it evokes emotion, forces you to look within your self, use your own life experiences as a point of reference.
My belief is that a greatly portrayed Hero/heroine forces you to look within your self and want to be a better person.
A fantastic example of such a prospective lesson and one which reflects my own moral beliefs, comes from a quote within the story. It is initially disclosed to us in the introduction by Rachel Maddow;
"When you act wrongly, you have to answer for it.
Without hiding, without complaint...That's integrity, and it is the foundation of honor."
If the world lived by the same moral code as Batwoman there would be no more bad guys left to hunt, great for humanity... maybe not so great for comics.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

All about us

My photo
frog bros comics and books, this is a blog all about well comics and books. We do deal in both but this is not a forum for us to peddle any crap... if it's not good we'll tell you and if something rocks our boat, well we'll tell you that too.